Monday, October 10, 2011

Days 193 - 199 aka the Power of a Stranger


the dreaded plank

overhead squat
These last few workouts have been tough for me.  Sometimes I leave Geaux Crossfit feeling fierce and focused.  But sometimes I leave feeling the weight of the battle I have been going through.  There are some exercises that just make me feel inferior to everyone else....it is so aggravating and, I know I shouldn't feel like this, but so embarrassing for me.  A good example is the plank.  You basically hold your own body weight for a designated time - 1 or 2 minutes.  I can barely last 30 seconds...on a good day.  I hate it.  Then there is anything related to a squat - front squat/overhead squat/back squat...It drives me crazy...I try so hard and I always end up feeling a little bit defeated after a WOD that includes squats.  It's been over 6 months.  I don't like being the only one in the gym that can't do something.  The same goes for running.  I know that with any running - for a warm up or in a WOD - I will come in dead last.  My heart sinks a little bit when I see that there is running involved.....my biggest nightmare would be a WOD with a plank warm up and then some sort of squat/run combination.

So, it is at those times that I really need to look for my inspiration to move on past a bad experience.  Amber (my fabulous trainer) recently told me that one or two women have joined Geaux Crossfit because of reading my blog.  I do not know them, have never met them or spoken to them.  But these women have become my inspiration.  I think of them when I am really struggling.....  I know that I don't have the strength to go through this journey alone so we have to be strong for each other.  The power of a stranger can be a really incredible thing.

Tomorrow I leave for a road trip to Richmond VA where my brother Matt will be marrying my friend Sarah.  I will be wearing my goal dress to the wedding that just barely fits!  I know I have to keep my eating in check during the road trip...extended drives used to be my ticket to the worst kind of eating - I would use it as an excuse - fast food, junk food from a convenience store, etc.... this time, I will be prepared.  I am packing a cooler full of paleo friendly options  - chicken, boiled eggs, salad, etc.  For my snack along the way I made something my colleague Kristen told me about - energy balls.  They are really delicious and really filling.  The original recipe comes from a great paleo-friendly website - http://www.perrysplate.com/.  I modified the recipe a bit to make them paleo.  I brought some to Amber this morning who thought they were yummy.....below is the original recipe with my notes in ( ).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abby and Lucas helped!
They love rolling the balls!
Spiced Cranberry Energy Balls
by Natalie

1 cup raw nuts (I used cashews and pecans)
1 cup rolled oats (instead I pulsated unsweetened coconut to almost a powder)
2/3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 T milled flaxseed (I didn't have so I didn't use)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
2/3 cup nut butter (I used almond - check to make sure the only ingredient is almond)
2-3 T pure maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar, to taste (I used honey)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup dried cranberries (I used dried blueberries, cherries and cranberries)

Grind the nuts and oats in a food processor or blender until there are no chunks larger than a pencil eraser. Dump into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the coconut, flaxseed, cinnamon and pinch of salt.

In a small bowl combine the nut butter, sweetener, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir for a few seconds. Add the cranberries. Finish mixing with your hands until everything is thoroughly combined. You should be able to press the entire mixture into one clump. If the mixture is too dry, add water 1 T at a time until you reach the desired consistency. You should be able to form balls easily, but the mixture shouldn't be mushy. Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are great for traveling!  And for exercise Amber helped me come up with a series of 10 minute WODS to do when I am on the road.....traveling with a four year old and two year old leaves little time for exercise.  But 10 minutes once or twice a day seems doable!

So, on October 15 my brother will be getting married - while I am wearing my GOAL DRESS!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing so AWESOME! Your perseverance through this has been so great, and you are doing such wonderful things for yourself, your family and the people you are an inspiration to. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's SO hard to eat well while traveling - major kudos to you for being prepared. And wearing your goal dress! That's such a great feeling :)

    ReplyDelete