Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Days 223 - 228 aka Amber is Killing Me (while saving my life)

The paleo challenge at my gym, Geaux Crossfit, started Monday.  I am surprised about how many people signed on since it is going through the end of December.  I feel like there is something about a challenge like this that unifies the gym....I am so excited!!!

Breakfast
With Amber's guidance, I have been really thinking about what I eat for the last three days.  Before that, I would think more in terms of the paleo diet and, more specifically, gluten free.  Now I am logging everything into Livestrong.com so I can get a clearer picture of what I am consuming.  My goal is to eat about 40%protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat each day.   The Livestrong website creates a pie graph to see my percentages....on Monday, I was way off - I just ate what I normally would eat (paleo) and it was way high in fat......I am slowly getting the hang of it though.  I have about 2 months to figure it out!  haha

Starting this Monday, my workout routine has changed a lot too.  Seriously.  Amber is pushing me further than I ever thought I could go.  I am so thankful for her.  She is giving me the confidence I need to become the athlete I never thought I would become.  Before Geaux Crossfit I can honestly say that I never thought I could be athletic.....I really think that if it wasn't for them that thought would be true.....I would have missed out on this opportunity.  It is life changing...

Increased Exercise=Exhaustion
So here is how my workouts have changed:
Amber met me on Monday 30 minutes before my WOD.  She had me do 10 50-meter sprints with a short break between each one.  I have never really tried to run fast before.  It felt really good!  Then today, WOW...today was brutal.  The entire morning workout (pre-wod and wod) was one that I have referred to before as "criers".  I don't know why...but every once in awhile an hour at Crossfit truly brings me to tears...I never thought exercise could be so emotional.  So here is what I did (along with my running buddy Candace):  We started by doing 10 100-meter rows with 30 second rests in between.  Then we did 5 200-meter rows with 30 second rests in between.  Then we rested for 3 minutes before doing 1 500-meter row.  That was all done BEFORE the WOD.  I almost didn't make it through...but Amber pushed me and I did it!!  The WOD today was a tough one...when I read it on Geaux Crossfit's website I knew I would hate it.  Why?  Because it involved the dreaded bear crawl.  The bear crawl is one of those things that can be terrifying if you have even a questionable relationship with your body image.....there is nothing pretty about it.  In my head, I was trying desperately to think of excuses to not do it - my back hurt, I felt like I was going to puke, etc.  But I knew I had to suck it up and just do it.  We had to go the length of the gym and then back again for a total of 5 times during the WOD.  The first time, I tried to cut off a few steps and turn around to head back before I got to the end.  Amber called me on it and said exactly what I needed to hear: "don't cheat yourself bethany."  How true is that?  I am up and out of my house...away from my kids and my husband..and I am going to cheat myself by not doing the exercise?  That is ridiculous of me....so I did it.  I had to stop for a few seconds here and there but I did it.  And I could leave the gym feeling like the time spent away from my family was worth it....

But I am exhausted.  My body aches.  I can barely walk.  It is (maybe besides childbirth) the best, most rewarding pain in the world.  How many people do I know have honestly pushed themselves to their limit physically?  I don't think it is something you can do by yourself.  You need your cheerleader.  Or, in my case, a whole gym full of cheerleaders.  Because when I was the last person still doing my WOD everyone was not commenting on how stupid I looked doing the bear crawl.  They were cheering me on to the finish line.

Getting Ready for Family Photos
And last night, I had one of those moments that makes all of this worth it.  Jason, the kids and I had our family portraits done.  Normally, just the kids would be in the photos...but this year I wanted to be part of it!  For the first time in a long time I really did feel beautiful.  I felt strong and confidant...and I think the pictures reflect that.  I got to wear my grandma's necklace that did not fit around my neck before I started my paleo journey.  I was so happy with the photos that I had them made into cards and bought enough to send one to pretty much everyone I know!  haha!!

Want to know what I've been eating? Check out my food log at: http://www.geauxcrossfit.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/120/

3 comments:

  1. Why are you trying to get your fat below 30%? I perform well and feel amazing on much higher percentages than that, as do many people (eg most of the Mark's Daily Apple crowd...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cate,

    Everyone's body is different. Right now Bethany is trying to figure out what works best for her. As of now this format works well for her and she is getting results (weight loss being the primary goal). If she plateaus we will change it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Bethany! You continue to astound, amaze, and inspire with your hard work and discipline!

    ReplyDelete