Monday, November 21, 2011

Days 229 - 240... AKA Did I Really Do That? AKA WEIGH IN (x2)

It is Monday and I am still flying high about my Friday at Geaux Crossfit....I catch myself sitting at my desk with a goofy smile just thinking about it......

Thanks to the tremendous support I receive from my crossfit family, I ran a 5K!!!  I cannot believe it!  How is that even possible?  I am a non-runner!  Just 8 months ago, I couldn't even run around the building!!  I have to admit, I didn't think I was going to make it.  Towards the end, my legs didn't want to move, by the last 1/2 mile they felt like lead sinkers.  I never NEVER thought that running over 3 miles would be something I would do....

THANK YOU FLEET FEET!!!
Although I am getting closer, I still do not feel like a runner (or any sort of athlete).  A few weeks ago, my feet started aching and I knew it was time to invest in some real running shoes.  I am not going to lie, I was nervous to go to a "real" running store.  I was afraid that, when I walked in, everyone would stop what they were doing and look at me in a way that would make me feel like a fraud.  I do not look like an athlete....I especially do not have the slender build of a seasoned runner.  I didn't want the employees to roll their eyes at each other when I announced that I needed running shoes.  At the urging of Amber, I worked up the courage to go to Fleet Feet.  After some minor hyperventilating in my car I, with the support of my mother, walked through the doors.  The reception I feared could not have been further from the truth.  The staff there were 100% helpful and committed to finding the right shoe for me.  After trying on pretty much every shoe in the store (many I tried on 2-3 times), I had narrowed it down to two different pairs.  The person helping me suggested that I try to run on the treadmill they have with each of them to see which one feels better.  I had to gulp down my fear of running in public and hop on.  And guess what?  It was not bad at all.  In fact, the whole experience was AMAZING!  I cannot say enough about the people that work at Fleet Feet.  They made me feel completely comfortable during this process.  And my wonderful new sneakers (Brooks Ghost) are so light and comfortable...great for the 5k.

A MUST DO - rolling out my muscles
This 5k actually came at a perfect time.  The week before was a hard one for me.  On Monday and Wednesday, I met Amber before my WOD to do some pretty major cardio - sprinting and rowing.  When I tried to do it again on that Friday, my legs cramped and I couldn't do it.  I really was devastated.  I know it is because I wasn't taking care of myself when I got home - finding the time to leave home and even go to the gym with a husband, two children under the age of five, a full time job, two dogs, and a cat...it is not easy.  Finding the time to stretch and soak my legs at night is almost impossible.  I know now, though, that is not a frivolous "extra" task.  (see Amber...I DO listen to you...haha) If I don't do it, I will injure myself.  I have to say, this "journey" to a healthy   me can be pretty time consuming!

Amber, as always, said exactly what I needed to hear to help me through my frustration.  She said "you are officially an athlete."   That one remark got me through the healing process (and a nasty stomach virus) so just one week later I could run the 5k!!

Okay, so as if that isn't exciting enough, I have now had two weigh ins since the Geaux Crossfit Paleo Challenge has started......and...I have lost 9 more pounds!  That is a total of 79 pounds!!  WOOOO HOOO!!

Hopefully reaching 80 will be enough incentive to keep me on track during Thanksgiving..............

Want to know what I've been eating? Check out my food log at: http://www.geauxcrossfit.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/120/

No comments:

Post a Comment