Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 4 (26 to go) aka Me vs. Chinese Buffet (that includes really good egg rolls)

Well I woke up this morning feeling a little achy and tired but also craving a Crossfit workout!  I am trying to keep it to three times a week.  Okay, that statement is so crazy  to me.  I have never been one to want to go to the gym.  And don't get me wrong, I have worked out there now three times and there is a certainly a time during each workout when I think that I have gotten myself into a totally insane situation and am full of regret.....it's usually right around the time that I feel like reaching for the puke bucket...Seriously...I am so excited for tomorrow's workout at Geaux Crossfit!

So today was a good eating day.  I started off with a piece of ham and two poached eggs.  I got an egg poacher that is made for the microwave (just like the cavemen used to use..haha) because I was getting sick of hard boiled eggs.  It was good, but I think I am really getting sick of all eggs...will try something different tomorrow.

For lunch I had beef stew that I made in the crock pot that did not involve any flour or potatoes.  I also had some delicious cucumbers that Kelly P. made with some salt and pepper and vinegar.

For snack I had some really delicious soup that Kelly P. made out of leftovers from Day 1's chicken fajita salad.  I hated the salad I made but LOVED the soup she made.  It was a great afternoon snack! (she even heated it up for me because I was so busy at work...how amazing is that?).

I was nervous about dinner.  On Thursdays, I take Abby to gymnastics.  It is also her reward day - if she sleeps in her own bed, does her chores, and is a good girl she gets to choose the restaurant to go to afterwards for dinner.  She ALWAYS chooses a Chinese buffet near my house because her all time favorite food is crab legs.  She is so Paleo without even trying it makes me sick - a big pile of crab meat for dinner with orange slices for dessert!  I decided to stay away from the buffet and got a big plate of steak/cabbage/broccoli/onion/zucchini/peppers from the hibachi and they grilled it up with some garlic and ginger.  I am sure there was some non-olive oil oil involved but I thought I did pretty good considering... Considering what?  Well...my love for sweet and sour chicken, fried rice, crab ragoons, egg rolls (I really love egg rolls), lo mein, etc.... For the first time in my life, I was sitting at the restaurant and I looked around...I felt sorry for the other people sitting there shoving all of that food in.  The majority were overweight, looked uncomfortable in their clothes, and were eating the same unhealthy choices I would have eaten just last week (woowoowow...Day 4 seems like Day 44 at least).  I don't want to sound cheesy but seriously they were me.  They were how I have lived my life before Day 1.  I wish I could go up to them and tell them that I understand how they feel.  That even people like us can make a change.  I know that I still look like them on the outside.  I am still forced to shop in the plus size clothes...still the fattest one in the room.  But I have changed on the inside.  I know this it.  I am on the path that is going to save my life and I wish there was a way for me to take all of those people at the Chinese buffet with me.  But there isn't.  I know from experience that this decision is so personal...I mean to live your life with food being your comfort when you are sad, your reward when you are happy, your activity when you are bored....and to just give it up...ugh.  Even the thought of it makes me want to reach for a donut...or maybe a brownie, with chocolate chips, topped with ice cream...ugh....better stick to the Paleo diet...

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed that you survived a chinese buffet. I know that is one of your (well, I should say "our") weaknesses and I would have a really hard time doing that. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to read about tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete