Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 5 (25 to go) aka tortes are sooo good but sooo bad

Well, that whole thing about being excited about todays WOD was totally and completely over when I checked out what we would be doing this morning.

Workout of the Day
3-3-3 Bench Press
Then
3 Rounds for Time:
-400 Meter Run
-40 Push Ups
-20 KB Swings

I was pretty excited about the Bench Press...I don't know why...it just makes me feel strong.  But then, then I read that we would be running and believe you me, that is a fat person's worst nightmare.  We know that as we are turning the first corner the non-fatties will already be zooming by on their second lap.  We know it isn't pretty...seeing us jiggle as we run.  And we know it is going to hurt all over and that hurt is just another reminder about how weak we have been in the past - my feet and knees hurt when I run because, before Day 1, I chose to eat whatever I wanted and allowed myself to get this overweight.  So when I got there I was not so thrilled.  We did our warm up exercises (that feel like an entire workout in itself) and started with the run.  Catherine modified my workout by having me run 200 hundred meters, do 20 push ups and 10 KB swings.  I was secretly excited because this is the first time she had me do the same number of rounds....3 times! But I am so very happy to say that I did it; which means that this morning, before most people are even awake I ran (and walked briskly) 600 meters, did 60 modified push ups and 30 KB swings.  Not so shabby if you ask me. 

Geaux CrossFit published a GREAT photo on their website of the gym post workout.  I just had to share - it really showcases how everyone feels after a workout...haah                               For breakfast I had leftover beef stew and it hit the spot.  I ran some errands on my lunch break and was in a bit of a bind regarding what to eat.  I was pressed for time and didn't know where to go.  I ended up trying out Qdoba where I had a "naked" salad (meaning no fried tortilla shell).  I got lettuce, steak, onion, pico, salsa, cilantro, and guacamole on my salad.  It was pretty good.  What I really wanted was a ground beef queso burrito with sour cream, rice, and extra cheese.  I knew that would kill my stomach though so it wasn't quite as hard to pass up.


I want to discuss which torte is better... :(

Now dinner, that was a tough one.  I spent the evening at a work event where my job was to man the buffet full of really great food.  Not only that, we had some out of towners at the meeting so I stayed at the table to explain what everything was and then had to listen to them say how good it is!  There were meat pies and crawfish pies and stuffed mushrooms and boudin balls, and fried catfish and finger sandwiches (why are finger sandwiches so darn good?  I mean, really, if this was pre-Day 1, I would have eaten the equivalent of like 8 sandwiches with no problem.)  The hardest thing for me to resist were these two yummy cheese tortes - one with figs and one with mango.  Of course these were the hit of the event and I had to listen to many a conversation about which torte was best.  I so wanted to be a part of that conversation.

After the reception was over, I had to pack up the leftovers bring it to a fridge....by myself, in the car, surrounded by deliciousness... I cannot believe I can type this - I DID NOT EAT ONE BITE!  Perhaps even harder was resisting an old friend that has been with me for as long as I can remember, Diet Coke.  I can almost close my eyes and taste it....but I didn't!!!

In some odd way I feel like I am letting down some of my friends and family by getting my health together.  I mean, I was always the one you could rely on to share a dessert with or to say screw it and get the fried chicken AND loaded mashed potatoes...as I am writing this, I know it doesn't make any sense.  It sounds crazy but honestly, I feel a bit guilty.  Like I want to say, "sorry to screw up your meal again guys."

Tomorrow I go to New Orleans...a city full of amazing food, drink and everything else to avoid.  I feel like, if I can really make it though this weekend, I will be a stronger person for it.  Catherine gave me some great advice suggesting that I tell people I eat gluten free...much easier than explaining that I am trying to live my life as a caveman....I think that if I get a gluten free meal than I can pick and choose what I want to eat that is Paleo easier than just any meal.....tomorrow it is me vs. New Orleans!!

4 comments:

  1. I did the same workout Bethany last night and they modified it for me as well, same as you. I was able to do it too. I noticed a change in that I was able to run farther without stopping and this was my 2nd workout...so it is giving me more endurance. I had a really hard time with the press though. I just can't get coordinated to do it right. Amber thought I was going to drop it on my neck cuz it kept moving. Congrats on not sampling. A party food table is a big big weakness of mine. I was at an event the other day and I just decided to not even go in the room....and they had finger sandwiches too!! I left and had a piece of grilled fish and veggies LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a vegetarian, I can relate to not wanting to ruin other people's food plans, but my love, you have to do what is right for you. AND a lot of food places are getting on the gluten-free bandwagon so it will be easier to order items off the menu and not seem picky or demanding of the waitstaff. Remember it's not a diet, but a way of eating. Most of us are way too glutenous and don't eat sensible to begin with.

    Keep on trucking sister, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled over here from the CF forums and just wanted to say that you're amazing and your willpower is so admirable. I have been doing this for a year or so and I still struggle from time to time. Good luck! I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't owe anyone any apologies! You are doing what is best for you and your kids and maybe, just maybe, you will inspire the rest of us to join you. Keep "ruining" our meals!

    ReplyDelete