Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 9 - 21 to go!! AKA Am I Poisoning My Kids?

I know I am being bad......
I am afraid today's breakfast and lunch was nothing exciting - just leftovers from previous meals.  I did have a cheat today though...and now I feel badly...oh curse you Diet Coke!  I have been a really heavy Diet Coke drinker for years and didn't have one during the first 6 days of Paleo.  This is seriously the longest I have gone since high school (maybe even middle school) without my drink of choice.....I was planning to just have water but couldn't resist...and it was really, really good.  But, I will move on and try my best to get through the rest of this day, week, month....without it.

I have been thinking a lot about being a mom and trying hard to be a good role model.  I can't help but to think about what lessons I have been teaching my kids as far as what to eat and not eat.  I mean, I assume that children are supposed to be snacking on Goldfish and yogurt and cereal and... and... and all this food that I think has probably made me feel sick for so long.  I can't help but to wonder how their bodies are handling their diet.  Last night I prepared myself the Paleo meatloaf, broccoli and cauliflower, and the kids and Jason ate regular meatloaf (aka cheese and breadcrumbs involved) and I made them brown rice to accompany it.  I felt compelled to make them the brown rice, like something was lacking on their plate if they only ate meat and veggies.  Now I am asking myself, what was the nutritional value of that rice?  Should I have included it?  I think these 30 days are going to convince me to look at my family's diet and not just my own.  Is what is working for me the diet that is right for them?  I can barely wait for Luke's 2 year old well check up in May.  I hope our pediatrician is ready for the caveman version of my past self!

Dinner was delicious...baked turkey breast. carrots, peas,  butternut squash....really good and satisfying.  Tomorrow I go to the gym again! 


My Family...worth getting up early in the morning to go to the gym and avoid my favorite foods
....to be healthy for them!

2 comments:

  1. Now, I don't have kids of my own, but I am a strong believer in "you will eat what I make or go a bit hungry...." There is no reason you can't make them your food and make it "fun" kid food at the same time. I know I have seen some articles/books for this, if I can remember or come across them I will let you know.

    Also, look into GAPS diet regarding kids and nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Fragoso's blog, everydaypaleo.com has some great resources on kid friendly paleo friendly meals. She has 2 or 3 kids and does all paleo meals for them and always features tons of fun stuff that encourages her kids to help her cook and be involved in the food process.

    OH - former diet coke addict here too! At least 1 every day in college. I switched to flavored seltzer and then weaned myself off the flavors. now I LOVE unflavored seltzer - in fact, a friend got me a water carbonator for a wedding present and it's probably my most used kitchen appliance after the crockpot. I found that I am really craving the cold fizziness when I wanted a diet coke, not the actual flavor of it. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete